Friday, April 4, 2008

Gordon Reelie, midget race car owner


Looking at the 1978 Racing Wheels scans that Marty has put up on his photo website (check the history links) I see a couple photos of Vancouver, BC, midget car owner Gordon Reelie and a couple of his wins.

One at the Kingdome in Seattle, WA, with one of his longtime drivers, Palmer Crowell, at the wheel. And the other from Ascot Speedway in Los Angeles, CA, with northern California driver Hank Butcher driving.

Reelie was involved with midget car racing for close to 50 years. He was a builder/owner and helped get a few of the local speedways (Digney and False Creek) started. His success as an owner came in the B.C. Midget Auto Racing Association (BCMARA), Washington Midget Racing Association (WMRA) and the United States Auto Club (USAC).

It was for those above accomplishments, and much more, that he was nominated and inducted, posthumously, into the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame. He passed away a number of years ago but was preparing and bringing his car to the track right up until the end.

2 comments:

Marty Kobata said...

Hey, glad to know you're finding things of interest from my scans. Let me know if you have anything in particular you'd like me to search for. I still have a LONG way to go to finish scanning.

befastpast said...

Thanks Marty,
Sometimes I never know what I'd like to find until it's there in front of me.

Having said that I can think of the 1977 IDC series for super stocks that included Larry Phillips and Joe Ruttman. They seemed to clean up at all tracks including Langley Speedway up in B.C.

And in 1978 there was a NASCAR northwest modified series that was won by a B.C. driver, Doug Heath. I'd love to find out more about the series. I think they ran at Longview and Wentachee as well as Langley Speedway.

Keep up your good work,
bfp