Monday, September 29, 2008

racin' on the radio



Once in a while I'll catch the MRN (Motor Racing Network?) covering a NASCAR race live. That usually means I'm not at home (well, duh!) and in my car (well, double duh!).

Back around 1953 local Top Dog! station, CKNW, did some broadcasts from Digney Speedway. Sportscaster Jim Cox did a delayed show featuring interviews and race coverage. I've never heard any of them, even asked the late great deejay Jack Cullen once about anything being saved and he said not that he was aware of. But I keep hoping. (I've heard a race from Langford Speedway in Victoria that was broadcast back in the late 1940s. The race was "taped" onto an acetate disc live and then quickly run over to the radio station in Victoria for a delayed show that the racers could hear and then bench race all over again.)

No comments: