Monday, December 8, 2008

pre-war midget video


This video was posted on YouTube recently. Looks to be pre-World War Two at Southern Ascot Speedway in the Los Angeles area. The guy with the red helmet is probably Eddie Haddad. I think I hear the name of Roy Russing mentioned (yellow midget) as well as Swede Lindskog (at least I hear the name "Swede") when the guy with the white helmet with the center stripe is on screen.

Swede Lindskog was a big deal up north in the Seattle area before heading south to race in California. He ran both big cars and midgets and was a hero at Victoria's Langford Speedway and Vancouver's Con Jones Park.

Sadly he lost his life in 1946 while qualifying a midget down in California.

The photo comes from an Australian site that features a few cool bits of information about Pacific northwest midget racing from Methanol Mel Anthony.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Thanks for posting this - I've never seen a video (err, film) of my uncle, Swede, before. If you know the source of the video on YouTube, I'd appreciate any info you may have. And if interested, I've started a blog of web references on Swede: http://swede-lindskog.blogspot.com.

Thanks Again!

befastpast said...

Hey BP,
bfp here. Had a look at your site. Excellent work. Look forward to more information being added.

Oddly enough I've been thinking about posting more about Swede Lindskog. He was a real hero up in Canada at both Langford and Con Jones Park Speedways.

I'm going to add your site to my links.

Hope to "pretty up" my site this year. All it takes is time and energy....
cheers,
bfp